Sunday, July 7, 2013

Actions Speak Louder Than Thoughts!


I want to share a story with you. A story that was a break through. A story that will hopefully motivate you.

Fighting with my weight since as long as I can remember. I had things spoken over me about my "stomach" or "needing a griddle" or how "big-boned" I must be. Crap. My eyes just got cloudy. This post is going to be harder than I thought.

With this struggle came up and downs renewed energy, trials, triumphs, deep dark lows, and cloud 9 highs. This story is from a time where I was trying with renew energy and stubborn goals to get in shape. I was down in the basement gym of our then apartment complex lifting weights. I had a pretty successful workout and was feeling good. I decided I would forego the elevator and take the 13 flights of stairs to my apartment to complete the workout. As I am walking to the stairs I think to myself you are crazy! this is not gonna happen!

I ascend up the first flight and I see the number 2 on the door and I think
you don't have to do this Jessica you can just go through that door and take the elevator the rest of the way

I keep climbing again I see the number 3 and I think
just give up, you had a good workout you don't need to do this

I keep climbing. For every single flight after that I continued to consider giving up.
EVERY SINGLE DOOR!
 The cool thing was that even as I'm thinking it I just kept climbing.

I finally see number 13. Immediately I sat down. Holy cow I did it! I had the biggest break through sitting on those steps.

Just because you think about quitting doesn't make you a quitter. When you keep climbing and reach the top you now have evidence to present to that next negative thought.

The negative thoughts will come. Jessica you are lazy. You never follow through.
This time I have an answer back.

Excuse me did see me climb 13 flights of stairs. Shut up and go bother someone else. I am not that girl anymore.

My actions spoke louder than that nagging negative inner voice that tried to hold me back. My actions proved that I was motivated. I accomplished something. My thoughts don't have to control my actions. I don't even have to resolve that thought right then and there. I just move passed it. Imagine if I would have sat down on the second flight of stairs and said to myself: Now Jessica lets talk about why you wanted to quit because we have to resolve this right now. Lets think about this. Lets dig up every if and or but and try to get rid of these thoughts.
I would have been sitting on that step for hours! Its ok for negative tape to play as long as the positive actions continue despite them.

I will keep climbing. I will reach the top.

I am not saying my workout journey has been obstacle-less since this epiphany, but I do know that realizing that my actions can speak louder than those stupid negative thoughts is encouraging. You won't have evidence to the contrary if you never try! I would just like to encouraging everyone to start building your I CAN DO THIS file. The file that you keep in your head or maybe even on paper that you can recall or pull out every time you feel like you CAN'T. Just look at that list and say. Ohhhhh yessssss I cannnnn! As evidence by, this whole list.

A little self motivation. A little pat on the back. If all else fails. Call me. I'll remind you of who you are, and what you are capable of.




No comments:

Post a Comment